NSW Premier Mike Baird has announced the sails of the Sydney Opera House will be lit up in celebration of the Hindu festival Diwali on Thursday 12 November.
This is the second year the Opera House will be lit up in a golden orange to mark the Hindu festival of light, celebrated by the global Hindu community.
“Diwali has become a festival that is not only recognised, but embraced by Australians of all backgrounds,” Baird said.
“The Indian community has always been forthcoming in welcoming community participation in festivals such as Diwali, and leads by example in its promotion of cultural acceptance and understanding.
“I encourage everyone to visit the Harbour foreshore to see our world famous icon light up for Diwali, to celebrate the symbolic victory of good versus evil and light over darkness.”
Minister for Multiculturalism John Ajaka said there are more than 200,000 people with Indian or South Asian heritage in New South Wales.
“People from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka as well as South East Asia have brought with them the rich tradition of Diwali and we appreciate the positive contributions they have made to our multicultural society,” Mr Ajaka said.
“Events such as these bring the community together and allow us to celebrate the cultural and religious diversity of our friends and neighbours.”
The Sydney Opera House will light up a golden orange just after 8pm this Thursday 12 November and will remain illuminated until midnight.
The Opera House will be lit up in celebration of Diwali for one night only and this has been made possible through the support of the NSW Government.
Share and Enjoy
- Volunteer orgaisation receives top honours at 2017 Premier’s Harmony Dinner ~ Australia, Community 17 Mar , at 2:34 AM
- Now party until wee hours in 7 live entertainment venues in Sydney ~ Australia, Community 15 Mar , at 11:42 PM
- Vivid -‘Festival of lights’ to illuminate Sydney for 23 spectacular nights ~ Australia, Community 15 Mar , at 12:10 AM
- Outstanding women of NSW awarded ~ Australia, Community 9 Mar , at 12:52 AM
- The Lennox joins 'Parramasala party' ~ Australia 1 Mar , at 6:38 AM