An event was organized on November 16, 2016 at Strangers Function Room, NSW Parliament House as a part of the pre-Chanukah Celebration.
Chanukah is the eight-day long Jewish festival of Lights, celebrating the universal triumph of light over darkness, freedom over oppression and good over evil.
The program started with a formal welcome of guests by Gabirelle Upton MP, Attorney General which was followed by an invocation prayer by Rabbi Eli Cohen.
Rabbi Eli Cohen on the occasion greeted all the guests and said, “We are gathered today, to celebrate the upcoming festival of Chanukah, commemorating the victory of a small group of devoutly religious Jews against their Greek-Syrian oppressors 21 centuries ago”.
“Chanukah is a time when Jewish people around the world light the Menorah candelabra in the windows of our homes and in public spaces as a public display of our commitment to our faith and tradition.”
John Ajaka, Minister for Ageing, Minister for Disability Services, Minister for Multiculturalism welcomed all the guests and extended his best wishes to the Australian Jewish community for Chanukah.
Mike Baird, Premier of NSW also spoke on the occasion and extended his wishes to the community.
Leader of Opposition, Luke Foley was also present on the occasion.
Lighting of the Menorah, is an important part of the celebration. Rabbi Eli Feldman , Rabbi Yossi Friedman, Rabbi Mendal Kastel, Rabbi Chaim Koncepolski, Rabbi Paul Lewin , Rabbi Cantor Yehosua Niasoff , Rabbi Dr Dovid Slavin and Rabbi Yoram Ulman graced the ceremony of lighting the Menorah.
As a part of the celebration, Chanukah song was performed by Levi Niasoff.
Jeremy Spinak , President NSW Jewish Board of Deputies presented the closing remarks.
Light refreshment was served to all the guests.
Share and Enjoy
- Volunteer orgaisation receives top honours at 2017 Premier’s Harmony Dinner ~ Australia, Community 17 Mar , at 2:34 AM
- Now party until wee hours in 7 live entertainment venues in Sydney ~ Australia, Community 15 Mar , at 11:42 PM
- Vivid -‘Festival of lights’ to illuminate Sydney for 23 spectacular nights ~ Australia, Community 15 Mar , at 12:10 AM
- Outstanding women of NSW awarded ~ Australia, Community 9 Mar , at 12:52 AM
- The Lennox joins 'Parramasala party' ~ Australia 1 Mar , at 6:38 AM