One of the state’s biggest multicultural festivals, Parramasala, will remain a feature on the Western Sydney cultural calendar for at least the next four years.
NSW Premier Mike Baird and Minister for Multiculturalism John Ajaka announced the NSW Government has committed $1.6 million over four years in the 2016-17 Budget to secure Parramasala.
“We live in one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the world and Parramasala is an event that celebrates our differences and encourages community harmony,” Mike Baird said.
“Now in its seventh year, Parramasala continues to grow and attracts tens of thousands of people each year to Parramatta and Harris Park in Western Sydney,” he added.
“This is a much anticipated event and we’re proud to support its return to Western Sydney until 2019.”
“Parramasala is an energetic, vibrant and colourful celebration of Indian and South Asian customs, traditions and cuisines and also welcomes contributions from all multicultural communities,” Ajaka said.
“It’s only fitting that one of the state’s premier multicultural festivals is held in Parramatta, the geographic and cultural heart of Sydney, ”added Ajaka.
Parliamentary Secretary for Multiculturalism and Member for Parramatta Dr Geoff Lee said, “I am pleased the NSW Government is supporting this much-anticipated event that turn Parramatta into a dazzling sea of colour and music.”
Chairman of Parramasala Dr G.K Harinath OAM said, “This funding commitment will allow us to make Parramasala bigger and better than ever before.”
Details about this year’s festival will be released over the coming months.
Share and Enjoy
- Sydney Trains encourage women to take the wheel ~ National 1 Mar , at 8:19 AM
- ‘Pongal Oh Pongal’ says Canberra! ~ National 18 Feb , at 12:11 AM
- Christmas greetings from the Premier of NSW to all Public Telegraph readers ~ National 24 Dec , at 7:46 PM
- Confluence: Diversity celebrated at Opera House ~ National 19 Sep , at 10:25 PM
- Swastik’s production ‘A Magical Journey With Krishna’ enthralls audience ~ National 5 Sep , at 10:55 PM