Surf Life Saving New South Wales is urging all coastal water users to be mindful of their own and others safety with heavy swells expected to hit over the next 48 hours.
An initial south to south-easterly swell of around 2 – 2.5 metres will affect the Batemans Coast region by Wednesday evening.
The swell has been forecast to head north overnight and will affect the entire NSW coastline by mid-day Thursday with sets of up to 4 metres and a swell period of 15 seconds anticipated.
Extra care should be taken by boat skippers crossing coastal bars, rockfishers, swimmers and surfers.
NSW Life Saving Manger Andy Kent said that despite the warnings of dangerous surf last weekend lifesavers and lifeguards still had to make a number of rescues.
“The tragic death of a man at Snapper Point on the Central Coast last Sunday reinforces the unpredictable nature of the ocean,” Mr Kent said.
“There were 170 rescues in total throughout the state with 120 of those occurring on Saturday in heavy conditions.
“We strongly encourage everyone to know their limits – if in doubt don’t go out.”
Conditions are expected to ease late Thursday evening and into Friday.
Some beaches may be closed due to hazardous conditions. Check the BeachSafe Website for up-to-date beach information.
General Safety Tips During Dangerous Surf Conditions:
- Avoid rock fishing and water activities on exposed beaches/rock-shelves.
- Only swim at patrolled beaches, between the red & yellow flags.
- Check the official Bureau of Meteorologyforecast before undertaking rock fishing and water activities.
- Boaties should seek advice from Marine Rescue NSW and always wear a lifejacket.
- See the BeachSafe Website for patrolled locations/times and rock fishing safety information .
- If witnessing an in-water emergency dial Triple Zero – Police.
Share and Enjoy
- Young men most at risk of dying in 'Rip Currents' ~ Surfing 11 Oct , at 12:24 AM
- Schoolies urged to be beach safe ~ Surfing 27 Nov , at 12:13 PM
- Be beach aware during holidays ~ Surfing 21 Sep , at 8:45 PM
- Shark Sighting Closes Beaches at Ballina ~ Surfing 27 Jul , at 6:59 PM
- Large swells and strong winds expected along NSW Coast ~ Surfing 8 Apr , at 3:27 PM