Surf Life Saving NSW is warning of another period of dangerous surf conditions for the NSW coast and advising against all coastal activities until Saturday 6th September.
A significant south to south easterly swell is expected to reach 4.5m in some areas with a swell period of 12 seconds. Conditions are expected to increase steadily throughout the week, peak on Wednesday and Thursday and begin to ease on Friday.
Following the death of a fisherman in dangerous surf conditions at Lurline Bay in Sydney last weekend, SLSNSW Lifesaving Manager, Andy Kent, is pleading with people to heed warnings and assess the conditions before heading out fishing, swimming, surfing or boating this week.
“Surf lifesavers are preparing for another dangerous week of surf conditions impacting a significant area of the coastline until the weekend and I would ask people to think hard and reconsider before putting themselves in danger.
“These conditions will not be safe for coastal activities including rock-fishing and until these conditions moderate, it is not worth the risk to yourself and to others and I urge people to heed the warnings and take a break this week,” said Andy Kent.
Some of the metro beaches are still patrolled through winter. Go to beachsafe.org.au for patrolled locations.
Public Safety Messages During Hazardous Surf Conditions
- Avoid rock fishing and water activities on exposed beaches/rock-shelves
- Only swim at patrolled beaches, between the red & yellow flags
- Check the official Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) forecast before undertaking rock fishing and water activities (www.bom.gov.au/nsw/)
- Boaties should seek advice from Marine Rescue NSW and always wear a lifejacket (www.marinerescuensw.com.au/boating-safety)
- See www.beachsafe.org.au for patrolled locations/times and rock fishing safety information
If witnessing an in-water emergency dial Triple Zero – Police
Share and Enjoy
- Young men most at risk of dying in 'Rip Currents' ~ Surfing 11 Oct , at 12:24 AM
- Schoolies urged to be beach safe ~ Surfing 27 Nov , at 12:13 PM
- Be beach aware during holidays ~ Surfing 21 Sep , at 8:45 PM
- Shark Sighting Closes Beaches at Ballina ~ Surfing 27 Jul , at 6:59 PM
- Large swells and strong winds expected along NSW Coast ~ Surfing 8 Apr , at 3:27 PM