To curb the crime rate and to take strict action those engaged in drunken or anti-social behaviour, NSW Government has moved a step forward by increasing the fines by three times. So be careful, next time swearing in public could cost you as much as three times as it used to be earlier.
From 31 March onwards, the NSW Government has increased on-the-spot fines and fine upto $1100 will be handed out to anyone engaging in drunken or anti-social behaviour.
The new penalties are part of the Government’s crackdown on public drug and alcohol fuelled violence. Under the new scheme, criminal infringement notices for offensive language and offensive behaviour will rise to $500, while continued intoxicated and disorderly behaviour after a direction to ‘move on’ will attract a fine of $1100.
Attorney General Greg Smith SC announced the scheme as the latest step in the government’s mission to target drunken behaviour on NSW streets. The announcement follows the recent implementation of new alcohol laws, which include 1.30am lockouts and mandatory minimum sentences for fatal one punch attacks.
The new penalty structure will be:
|Old fine||New fine from 31/3|
|Continuation of intoxicated and disorderly behaviour following move on direction||$200||$1100|
“The message to drunken thugs is clear: violent, offensive and anti-social behaviour simply won’t be tolerated. Anyone ignoring that message should prepare to learn a very expensive lesson,” Smith said.
Minister for Police and Emergency Services, Michael Gallacher said, “Police, armed with greater powers and more resources would be out on the streets actively enforcing the new fines”.
Share and Enjoy
- Sydney Trains encourage women to take the wheel ~ National 1 Mar , at 8:19 AM
- ‘Pongal Oh Pongal’ says Canberra! ~ National 18 Feb , at 12:11 AM
- Christmas greetings from the Premier of NSW to all Public Telegraph readers ~ National 24 Dec , at 7:46 PM
- Confluence: Diversity celebrated at Opera House ~ National 19 Sep , at 10:25 PM
- Swastik’s production ‘A Magical Journey With Krishna’ enthralls audience ~ National 5 Sep , at 10:55 PM