Clean clothes are coming to people who are homeless in Sydney through a new mobile laundry service launched by the NSW Government.
NSW Premier Mike Baird put homelessness on his Government’s priorities and the need for mobile laundry services was identified.
As the challenge of getting clothes cleaned was brought to the attention of the Government by people who are homeless, we looked for solutions.
“I was delighted to be told that a couple of young friends from Queensland had established the mobile ‘Orange Sky’ laundry van which was operating also in Melbourne,” said Brad Hazzard, Minister for Family and Community Services .
“We approached Orange Sky and they were keen to get involved in Sydney.
“The NSW Government has allocated $50,000 and partnered with Orange Sky and The Good Guys who are also funding the project to the tune of $50,000.
“Wearing clean clothes is something most of us take for granted. For someone who is homeless or a rough sleeper access to a free laundry can make a huge difference. It improves opportunities and supports any initiatives the person may be making to try to find accommodation or a job.
“Over the last few months, the NSW Government has developed ‘pop up’ housing offices taking FACS staff to the streets where people who are homeless are living. Now we have added the Orange Sky laundry.
“This is not the last initiative to support people who are homeless – there will be more to come.
“The NSW Government thanks The Good Guys who are supporting similar projects nationally along with Jetstar who is supporting Orange Sky’s expansion across Australia.
“We also thank the Orange Sky founders for supporting the NSW Government in its ongoing efforts to outreach to and support people who are homeless,” said Hazzard.
Share and Enjoy
- Bring on the bling at ‘Sakhi Divas’ ~ Community, India 17 Mar , at 8:09 PM
- Volunteer orgaisation receives top honours at 2017 Premier’s Harmony Dinner ~ Australia, Community 17 Mar , at 2:34 AM
- Now party until wee hours in 7 live entertainment venues in Sydney ~ Australia, Community 15 Mar , at 11:42 PM
- Vivid -‘Festival of lights’ to illuminate Sydney for 23 spectacular nights ~ Australia, Community 15 Mar , at 12:10 AM
- Outstanding women of NSW awarded ~ Australia, Community 9 Mar , at 12:52 AM