Bill Shorten, Leader of Opposition and Member for Maribyrnong
Sixty-seven years ago, the saffron, white and green of the Indian tricolour was hoisted above the gates of the Red Fort to mark the historic moment when India kept its ‘tryst with destiny’.
Today, on Indian Independence Day, millions of people will be joined in celebrating all that India has achieved.
There is so much for modern, independent India to be proud of.
In 1947, Prime Minister Nehru spoke of a nation waking to ‘light and freedom’ while the world slept.
In 2014 India is a beacon of democracy, a nation turning economic growth into social progress and freeing its citizens from poverty, while the world watches in admiration.
Today all Australians rejoice in India’s progress, and we give thanks for the contribution that the Indian people have made to our society, to our culture, to our cuisine and to our country.
I wish you all the very best for a joyous celebration.
Michelle Rowland MP, Member from Greenway
It is my great pleasure to extend my best wishes to those celebrating India’s 68th Independence Day.
August 15 commemorates India’s non-violent struggle for independence and reaffirms the strong bond between our two nations.
Australia and India are inexorably linked by language, democratic heritage, and a commitment to peace in our region.
We have been comrades in times of war and friends in peace. Our relationship has seen a large Indian community migrate and prosper within our shores.
Australia proudly boasts a strong Indian community, now exceeding over 450,000 people.
Indian-Australians have enriched our political, economic and cultural life. Their commitment and application has been layered and woven into the Australian way of life.
Indian Independence Day is an opportunity to recognise and appreciate the valuable contribution the Indian community has made to the mosaic that is Australia’s multicultural society.
My warmest greetings for a joyous celebration of Indian Independence Day.
Share and Enjoy
- Bring on the bling at ‘Sakhi Divas’ ~ Community, India 17 Mar , at 8:09 PM
- Volunteer orgaisation receives top honours at 2017 Premier’s Harmony Dinner ~ Australia, Community 17 Mar , at 2:34 AM
- Now party until wee hours in 7 live entertainment venues in Sydney ~ Australia, Community 15 Mar , at 11:42 PM
- Vivid -‘Festival of lights’ to illuminate Sydney for 23 spectacular nights ~ Australia, Community 15 Mar , at 12:10 AM
- Outstanding women of NSW awarded ~ Australia, Community 9 Mar , at 12:52 AM